Wednesday, March 16, 2011

little simple kitchen

My kitchen is tiny. It is not even a room, it's a counter with a fridge, some cupboards, a sink and one hob.
It's not really the sort of kitchen for people who like to make things themselves. But we are trying to make the most out of it. We have an additional two (electric) hobs that make it possible to cook more than just a pot of soup or some spaghetthi.
When I moved in I also purchased a small electric oven, but I stopped using it because it's just not the same and only takes up a lot of space on the counter.

Still, today I spent my afternoon making three different batches of dough for yummy selfmade food and it all works very well.


Spaetzle, ready to get crammed into the tiny freezer. It's a runny dough made from flour, eggs, salt, oil and water, no waiting required. They are then scraped into boiling water. You can either eat them directly afterwards, or keep them in the fridge or freezer.


Selfmade pasta drying on the windowsill. The easiest dough ever. Flour, salt, some oil and water until it is smooth. Then roll out and cut. They keep in the fridge for a few days, or about a month in the freezer. If you dry them, they're like the normal pasta you buy. Just better.


And finally, I made some more Pita breads. It's a normal yeast dough that needs to rise for a couple of hours, but then you 'bake' the breads in a big frying pan with a lid. This recipe works so well I have been thinking about making small 'Zopf's for Sundays. I'll keep you posted.

So you see, there is actually quite a lot that can be accomplished even in the smallest kitchen. I love how going simple still makes things work - often even more nicely and much less complicated than before. If you really want something, there is always a solution. It requires either money, time, or creativity. Your choice!

1 Comments:

Squiggly Rainbow said...

Home made is best! Yumm xox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...